When a movie is released worldwide before counting the total collection, that is not just the money it earns by the previews. It takes a lot many factors into consideration, like sales, promotions, and many others. Musical, fun, and comedy movies ruled the scene for the box office collections in the earlier times. These were the only genres for which the audience spent those extra bucks, but not anymore. The tables have now turned, and it looks like the franchise movies are in for a big hit. Different franchise hubs like marvel comics, DC comics have seen a high rise in the box office collections, and the fans love them. After all, why would not somebody pick up a superhero movie to relate with?
When you listen to the term highest-grossing, you only account for the theatre sales and home sales. When the revenue is generated, it is not immediately clear which movie is successful and which is not. Though after the total calculation, the term ‘highest-grossing movie’ is given to that particular movie.
Today we are counting our top ten picks for the highest-grossing movies of all time.
#1: Avenger: Endgame: 2019:
- With a worldwide box office collection of 2.79 billion USD, avengers endgame has been proclaimed the highest-grossing movie ever.
- With the marvel franchise, the makers have been pulling off a set of 21 movies from the past 11 years, and the liking for the same does not seem to decline on any side of the page.
- The Avengers endgame is a three hour plus movie and is an exact masterpiece in terms of size, cost, and consistency.
- Endgame ran in theatres for just 84 days, where it beat Avatar, which was in the theatres for a comparatively longer time of 234 days.
- The sales in the U.S stayed at 585 million USD alone.
- This movie even has the most show time in history with 63,000 shows and even extended show time hours with the number of ticket sales being 1 billion USD in just five days.
#2: Avatar: 2009:
- Avatar’s worldwide box office collection is next to avengers endgame and a close call at 2.78 billion USD.
- There is no doubt that this movie remains at the top of the box office as the highest-grossing movie of all time for a decade, Where it was stripped of its reign by avengers endgame.
- James Cameron believed that he could still make the audience love the mythical roots of the picture; therefore, he created Pandora’s universe.
- The jaw-dropping visual effects, the excellent use of 3-D techniques, and the beautiful setting of Pandora were the reasons why Avatar was such a great hit.
- The budget for the movie was huge, and James Cameron was developing the movie for fifteen years. This was his second film in a long time since Titanic came out in 1997.
- Avatar was not a sudden hit at the box office, but it had a long show time and stuck around in the theatres for nearly 234 days, where it finally became part of history.
- The scenes of the Avatar were involved, and the extended riff of the narratives was something that the viewers had not seen before made it catch people’s attention.
#3: Titanic: 1997:
- Even after 23 years of the movie’s release, nobody can deny the fact they have not fallen in love with jack and rose and wished the same for themselves at least once in a lifetime.
- James Cameron’s hit Titanic crossed 2.19 billion USD and was the first movie in history to enter the 2 billion mark.
- The movie had also won 11 Oscar awards, which is again the highest in history. Guess this movie came out to break the records.
- Titanic was such a great success because of the tragic love story portrayed, which was more on the emotional touch and lesser on the economic one.
- The Iconic direction by James Cameron, the stunning visuals of the ship mixed up with Celine Dion’s voice in the song My Heart will go on was a perfect mixture for a hit movie.
- The movie did break hearts when Jack died, and the aged rose dropped the jewel piece into the dark abyss of the ocean just in the memory of jack. Now how can the audience not love that?
#4: Star Wars: The force awakens: 2015:
- With J.J Abrahams as the director of the movie, this part of star wars made a box office collection of 2.07 billion USD.
- The new characters in the movie, such as Rey, Kylo Ren, Poe, Finn, created the buzz about the movie and mostly gathered only positive reviews from the audience.
- The spoiler-free promotional campaign was a benefit to the franchise as it had left most of the surprises inside for the audience to find.
- The movie was able to capture the essence of the original trilogy by the use of dirty future aesthetic, not complaining that the CGI was lacking.
- The computer-generated indiscretions of the prequel trilogy were dropped in this one.
- And J.J Abrahams had done some reinventing of the things for the audience to feel the star wars connection again.
- Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Adam Driver were the solid cast members who had delivered some excellent work in the force awakens.
#5: Avengers: Infinity war: 2018:
- The prequel to the endgame and the third series in the Avengers franchise, the movie collected a total box office collection of 2,05 billion USD.
- The Infinity war is also one of the most expensive movies to be ever created in history.
- One of the main reasons why the infinity war was such a huge success was because of the main plot that came behind the storyline. There was a lot less revealed in the trailers that the audience had no idea about what is awaiting them.
- Being the third part of a successful story makes it obvious for the people to watch the movie just as once when it comes out.
- The visual effects, the epic fight scenes, the costumes, and the epic finger snap by Thanos are all to die for, which makes it a must watch and such a successful movie.
- The movie did leave behind a pile of broken hearts when all of the major and some of the favorite characters turned into dust.
- The infinity war was a marvel movie that saw some of the characters being introduced for the first time and some of the characters meeting each other for the first time—for example, Dr. Strange and Iron Man and many more.
#6: Jurassic World: 2015:
- Jurassic World made a box office collection of 1.6 billion USD and is the fourth part of the paleontological edition of the movie.
- The movie saw the introduction of Chris Pratt, who has been seen in a completely different role-playing a macho man like the ones in the 1950s, jumping from playing a dorky self in guardians of the galaxy and in the Avengers franchise.
- The image of the brand name under Jurassic world gave an edge on the box office collections, and the image of Chris Pratt riding a motorcycle was all it needed to bow off the money matters.
- The Jurassic world functions as a roller coaster ride for the dinosaur fans in the house, and we finally get to have a look inside John Hammond’s vision of dinosaur themed park.
- Even though the fact that nobody can outshine Spielberg but under the direction of Colin Trevorrow, we did not miss him much.
- The Jurassic world 2015 edition was placed carefully in June, beating furious 7 of its throne.
#7: The Lion King: 2019:
- More of a realistic version of the animated The Lion king was dropped in 2019, and it gathered a box office collection of 1.60 billion USD under the direction of Joss Whedon.
- Disney’s trend of remaking the animated versions of the classic movies can be considered both as a smart move and a failed one.
- The recreation of the established brand name would not require much marketing and promotions; therefore would be a perfect pick for great collections. But the nostalgic feelings do not impress the audience up to the mark.
- The Lion King was a classic where every soul cried their heart out when Mufasa died in front of Simba, and seeing that again in 2019 was no less heartbreaking from any side.
- This CGI remake of Disney’s animated version has been marked as the highest-earning animated remake of all time, succeeding even over the CGI remake of The Jungle Book.
- It beat frozen and frozen two from the animated section to take up its position.
#8: The Avengers: 2012:
- The Avengers is the first movie from the franchise and a popular one from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- The movie made a box office collection of 1.52 billion USD with Joss Whedon as its director.
- This part of the Avengers franchise is the first one and captures the true sense of a superhero movie. The avengers were on a similar note to X-men and the fantastic four, which also received big-screen treatments.
- With the release of Avengers, it brought a surety that the MCU has finally ready to take over Hollywood with its back to back hits.
- The release of spiderman showed the world why superhero movies are fun, with the release of Avengers showed why superhero teams are.
- The fighting sequence in this part is also top-notch, and the acting performance by each of the characters is truly outstanding.
#9: Furious 7: 2015:
- This is the seventh installment of the fast, and the furious franchise stands at the ninth position for the highest-grossing movies of all time.
- The movie gathered a box office collection of 1.52 billion USD and had done so under the direction of James Wan.
- The movie is packed with fantastic action sequences, and to top it, all of the creators have done the most insane things in the movie, just like any other part of the fast and furious.
- You will find here jumping of cars, fight scenes, and everything else you think a super hit movie should have.
- The movie saw the demise of the lead actor Paul Walker which was the most heartbreaking news for the fans in the entire year.
- The movie still was completed by pasting the walker’s image on the body doubles, and also his brothers stood in the position to help finish the production.
#10: Frozen II: 2019:
- Frozen II is the second installment of the movie frozen, which gathered a box office collection of 1.51 billion USD worldwide, which is the highest for an animated movie.
- Disney has done justice to the character of Queen Elsa and her sister where they are on a journey to find out where did Elsa get her powers from.
- The original segment of the movie crossed 1 billion USD, and this part was a sure fire success.
- It also ranked in one of the top three highest-grossing animated movies by Disney.
- The movie is a family-friendly affair that makes the families watch it together and enjoy it as well.
- Also, the movie was released at the perfect timing, not like ugly dolls, which was released only a week after avengers and was a complete flop show.
- The holiday crowd was one of the main reasons why frozen two was able to capture such a huge audience in only a matter of time.
These were our picks for the top ten highest-grossing movies of all time. If you got anything to say about it, please do write in the comment box below and share with us; we would be delighted!