The cinema has an impact on us, which we are unable to see for quite some while, but it does not mean that it does not exist. The movies which we like are said to be our reflection, and it is true. When we sit back and relax in a theatre, the reason we are there would be to enjoy ourselves, but that is not all. We tend to lose ourselves in those three hours of magical experience created for us by the directors so that we can live the life of the movie just for once without actually being there. Some movies are created on a low budget still manage to make billions, and that is counted as a huge success, while some of them are which are created on a high budget and do not manage to collect the attention of the audience which they were supposed to.
Today we bring you the top 10 most expensive movies ever created in the history of movies.
#1: “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (2011):
- The budget for the movie was 376.4 million USD, created in 2011 still stands as the most expensive movie ever created.
- The total expenses on the movie, including marketing and promotions, crossed 400 million USD, and the worldwide grossing for this movie was 1 billion USD.
- The movie starred Johnny Depp as captain jack sparrow, where he is off to find the fountain of youth, and he also told vanity fair that he was overpaid for the pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
- He also said that the money is not for him but for his kids now as he was paid a swooping 55 million USD for his part in the sequel.
- Disney spent more than 400 million USD on the movie as it was shot with the top-notch 3-D cameras and in the remote locations of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and California.
#2: “Avengers: Endgame” (2019):
- The Avengers Endgame was the last part of the Marvel Avengers franchise, which consisted of two predecessors before the Endgame arrived.
- The estimated budget for the movie was around 356 million USD, and the marketing budget included another 100 million USD, which made it one of the most expensive movies ever made.
- The Marvel Universe’s 22 feature films concluded with more than 30 major roles in the Endgame.
- The movie took over Avatar to be the highest-grossing movie of all time, with 2.8 billion USD in its corner.
- With Robert Downey Jr., Ben Affleck, Benedict Cumberbatch, Scarlett Johanson, the avengers endgame was a movie worth watching.
- Robert Downey earned a mind blowing amount of 75 million USD from Endgame, which explains all the budget that went into making Endgame.
#3: “Avengers: Infinity War” (2018):
- With Thanos swapping half of the population into dust, the movie surely swapped a few million into the making of it.
- The budget for the infinity war being 316 million USD, the avengers Infinity war stands as the third most expensive movie to be created.
- The marketing budget was kept somewhere between 150 million USD to 170 million USD.
- Both endgame and infinity war was filmed back to back, with some of the scenes of the latter filmed in the previous part. The film became the highest-grossing movie of 2018 with 2 billion USD in its account and also the fifth highest-grossing movies of all time.
- With a huge cast of big-name stars, the budget automatically touching the roof is quite stating the obvious.
#4: “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” (2007):
- This part of the “pirates” franchise was considered as the final part of the trilogy at once, but it didn’t go the way it was planned.
- The movie was made on a record-high budget of 300 million USD, which stood at number one for most of the time from 2007-2011.
- At the world’s end was the first-ever movie to have a budget of 300 million USD in the entire cinematic history.
- The film was released in the early summer after the prequel dead man’s chest became the highest-grossing movie of all time with 1 billion USD and also stayed as the highest-grossing movie of 2007 but earned a little less than dead man’s chest.
- It also featured a 40 structure set designed to look like the Singapore battle places, and also shooting took place in one of the sub hangers at zero degree temperature.
- To much surprise, the movie’s editing took five months to be completed and regained most of its budget with a box office collection of 963 million USD.
#5: “Justice League” (2017):
- The Justice League from DC comics ties with the pirates of the Caribbean at the world’s end on a budget of 300 million USD.
- In 2017 wall street journal reports suggested that the budget for the wonder woman, flash, batman, and superman grew up to 300 million USD.
- The production and marketing total stood at 400 million USD and made a box office collection worldwide of 657.87 million USD.
- The movie saw some unforeseen circumstances when Zack Snyder had to step down due to the death of his daughter, and Joss Whedon took into his shoes to finish the movie.
- The movie with the exceptional characters expected to cross the 1 billion mark easily, just as the Marvel studio’s avengers, but things did not go as planned, and it was not well received by the audience.
#6: “Solo: A Star Wars Story” (2018):
- This part of the star wars franchise was the most expensive part ever made and had a budget of 275 million USD; however, including the marketing and production cost, the budget for the movie reached 400 million USD.
- The movie did fairly well at the box office and gaining a worldwide grossing of 358 million USD but not as much was expected from it.
- The movie did not get a streamlined direction after the differences of the two directors, namely Phil Lord and Chris Miller, were fired, the direction fell into the hands of Ron Howard, who reshot a portion of the film.
- According to the reports, Howard’s direction accounts for about 70 percent of the total movie shot.
- The movie was not well received by the audience, and some of them even said they had a bad feeling about it before it even arrived.
#7: “John Carter” (2012):
- John Carter is regarded as one of the biggest mistakes Disney has made in terms of making a movie.
- This movie had a budget of 263.7 million USD, and the marketing and promotion budget was kept close to 150 million USD.
- However, the movie only made a worldwide gross of 284 million USD, which means it did not even cover up the budget, which was kept for it.
- Taylor Kitsch, starring John Carter, was supposed to be a new franchise for Disney, but all the dreams went down as soon as the movie was released.
- John Carter became one of the movies became the most flopped movie of all time, with a 200 million USD downfall for Disney.
- The score by Rotten tomatoes was 51 percent, and it was also called a mess when the movie’s trailer was out.
#8: “Tangled” (2010):
- This Disney movie was a recreation of the fairy tales we read about Rapunzel.
- It was the most expensive 3-D animated movie ever created and is also one of the most expensive movies generally.
- It had a budget of 260 million USD and had a worldwide grossing of 500 million USD.
- The high cost of production of tangled was due to the fact of the mixture of handcrafted drawings and the CGI to create a unique look of its own. The hand drawings were taken from earlier Disney films like the beauty and the beast and the lion king.
- A lot of detailed attention was spent on Rapunzel’s hair so that they be on point. The animator Glen Keane said that he had started working on the software for the creation of Rapunzel in 2005.
- The hairs were 1000-10,000 tubes of actual hair, which says a lot about the money and details that went into the creation of tangled.
#9: “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” (2016):
- The batman v superman was created in 2016 on a budget of 259 million USD and achieved a worldwide gross of 863 million USD, with the promotional and marketing budget been set aside at 150 million USD.
- The budget was a little higher than 250 million in the starting, but it is said that later they accounted for 263 million USD after the incentives were credited.
- The movie may have grossed worldwide more than 600 million USD, but we cannot say that it was loved by the audience.
- The movie had bad timing, inconsistent fighting sequence, and the whole mom thing was good enough to throw the audience, which was left interested,
- The score by rotten tomatoes was only 27 percent for this movie.
#10: “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (2015):
- The force awakens was estimated at a budget of 250 million USD and achieved a worldwide grossing of 1.1 billion USD. In other words you can say that the movie was a hit.
- The total budget after the marketing was rounded off at 350 million USD after reveiveing the incentives worth 42 million USD.
- In this segment of the movie Kylo Ren and Ray face off each other.
- The star wars force awakens returned under Disney’s brand this time.
These were the top ten most expensive movies ever made. Following these are a few movies that lie in a similar bracket, and those are
- The Avengers” (2012) — $220 million.
- “Avatar” (2009) — $237 million.
- “Transformers: The Last Knight” (2017) — $239 million.
- “Beauty and the Beast” (2017) — ~$255 million.
- “Spider-Man 3” (2007) — $258 million.