Newspapers have been one of the oldest methods of communication not only throughout India but the whole world. The first colonial newspaper was published in 1690 and ever since the newspaper industry has gone through ups and downs. Now the newspaper industry is mostly shifting from printed publications to online publications. The newspaper single-handedly provides information that none of the media channels could. After all, what would anyone like more than a cup of coffee and a daily newspaper to enjoy while you sit on the balcony of your house?
Germany was one of the first countries to publish the newspaper and the handwritten sheets were circulated through Venice as early as 1566 and the first online newspaper was published in 1980 under the name of The Columbus Dispatch. And as far as the Indian Newspaper goes James Augustus Hickey is regarded as the father of Indian newspapers.
Today we will be enriching you with the knowledge of the top ten widely read newspapers throughout the world. It gets exciting as it proceeds.
#1: The New York Times:
- The newspaper which ranks first on our list is The New York Times with not only readers from the country but globally.
- The newspaper is based in New York City and was founded in 1851 and stands as the 3rd most read newspapers in the USA daily and also one of the widely read newspapers in the world.
- The average circulation for the New York Times is a huge figure of 2,134 and the number of readers daily counting as much up to 4.3 million.
- The New York Times is the second-largest newspaper globally in 2020.
- Quite surprisingly the New York Times has also been given the title of ‘Newspaper of the record’.
- The NYT newspaper has won uncountable awards over the past years and 133 Pulitzer Prizes which is highest than any newspaper and also other awards include Peabody Awards, Online Journalism Awards, George Polk Awards, Mirror Awards.
#2: USA Today:
- The USA today is an American daily newspaper that is circulated throughout America as a daily middle-market newspaper and is the flagship publication of its owner.
- It was published by Gannett founded by Al Neuharth on September 15, 1982, and is administered by its headquarters at McLean, Virginia.
- The average circulation of the USA today stands at 4,132 and the daily reader count for the same is registered at 2.6 million readers.
- USA Today is printed at 32 sites across the country and the weekly print average is marked to be 726,906.
- USA Today has been awarded GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage, Red Smith Award, Billie Award for Journalism for its outstanding performance for all these years.
- The newspaper is published on a daily basis from Monday to Friday and the Friday edition is a much more extended version of the weekend edition.
#3: The Guardian:
- The newspaper which stands second on the list for widely read newspapers is this British newspaper popularly known as The Guardian.
- It was founded in 1821 and was formerly known as the Manchester Guardian when it finely changed its name to the Guardian in 1959.
- The other parts of The Guardian media group include The Guardian Weekly and The Observer which is currently owned y Scott Trust.
- The Guardian is headquartered in London and has gained much popularity for all these years resulting in a daily circulation of 126,897 and has accumulated a daily readership of 1.03 million.
- With its editor in chief Katherine Viner, the newspaper has won The Press Award for Newspaper of the Year.
- You can also access The Guardian weekly which covers some of the best stories from the previous weeks but surely has a high price for just a weekly edition.
#4: The Wall Street Journal:
- The wall street journal or more commonly known as The Journal in the USA is at number fourth for our ranking.
- This newspaper was founded in 1889 and has its headquarters in New York City and is printed in the English language with the international interpretation being published in Chinese and Japanese languages also.
- If including the online publications the Wall street journal is the most widely circulated newspaper daily.
- The wall street journal has a daily circulation of 2,834,000 along with the Asian editions being published six days a week by Dow Jones and the company.
- Matt Murray is the editor in chief for the wall street journal and has led the newspaper to win the Pulitzer Prize for public service.
#5: The Washington Post:
- The Washington Post is currently owned by the Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and is one of the widely read newspapers in Washington and one of the top newspapers of 2020.
- The Washington Post was founded in 1877 and was under the control of the graham family for a long time who later sold the company to Nash holdings and in turn, was taken over by Jeff Bezos at a settlement of 250 million USD and that too in cash.
- The daily broadsheet edition of the newspaper is printed in Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.
- The editor in chief is Martin Baron and has to control a huge staff of about 800 writers under him which are responsible for making the newspaper grow so fast.
- The Washington Post has a daily circulation of 356,768 and the readers on the digital edition range close to a million readers.
- The newspaper has won 69 Pulitzer prizes which are the second most of any newspaper in the world after The New York Times.
#6: Daily Mail:
- The daily mail is one of the largest British publications headquartered in London and is printed in a tabloid format
- The Daily mail was founded in 1896 and is one of the highest circulated newspapers of the United Kingdom.
- The total number of newspapers for the daily mail is 1,222,611 and the readers count at 3.95 million making it one of the best newspapers in the world if counting in terms of daily readership.
- The daily mail or the mail was founded by Alfred Harmsworth and Harold Harmsworth and can be accessed on your iPhone or iPad or tablet for free even in offline mode.
- The price for the daily mail weekly edition stands at 65p which is affordable and the weekend edition can be purchased at an extra cost of 5p which is a winning deal for most of the users.
#7: Yomiuri Shimbun:
- The Yomiuri Shimbun is one of the largest selling newspapers which is published in Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, and other major cities of Japan.
- It stands as one of the five national newspapers in Japan and the other four of them being The Asahi Shimbun, the Mainichi Shimbun, Nihon Keizai Shimbun, and the Sankei Shimbun.
- The newspaper was founded in 1874 and was founded by the Yomiuri Group and is headquartered at Otemachi, Chiyoda, Tokyo.
- It is known for having the largest daily circulation at 9,017,000 and is also japans one of the largest English language papers.
- In February 2009, the Yomiuri Shimbun tied up with the Wall Street Journal for edit, printing, and distribution. It was then from the march that the daily headlines were categorized in the evening edition of the newspaper.
#8: Dainik Bhaskar:
- Dainik Bhaskar is an Indian Hindi language newspaper that was founded in 1958 and is owned by the Dainik Bhaskar group.
- According to the Audit Bureau of Circulation reports it is ranked fourth in the world and 1st in India, the second most populated country in the world.
- It was founded in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, and expanded itself with the Indore edition and is currently headquartered at Bhopal itself.
- It is printed in the broadsheet format and has a daily circulation of 4,320,781 helping it to be one of the largest newspapers in the world.
- When Dainik Bhaskar was launched in Jaipur first in 1996 it became the highest-selling newspaper selling about 172,347 copies.
- Dainik Bhaskar has its editions in Haryana, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra as the major states in India.
#9: Reference News:
- Reference news is a Chinese newspaper that was founded in 1931 and currently ranks at the 9th rank in the world by circulation and 1st in china.
- The first publication of reference news was made on November 7, 1931, and was published by Xinhua News Agency.
- The newspaper is also published in Uighur, Kazakh, Korean, and Mongolian languages for people ranging from an ethnic background.
- When the newspaper was first launched it was not available to everyone, it was only supplied to the cadres of the family but later on, was made available o the entire Chinese public.
- In the race of increasing competition, the reference news did lose several readers and dropped from 11 million to 4 million from1980-1985 in just five years.
- The average circulation of the Reference News stands at 4,320,781.
#10: The Asahi Shimbun:
- The newspaper at the 10th position for our list is The Asahi Shimbun and is the second most circulated newspaper in the world with an average circulation of 6,622.
- It stands as one of the five national newspapers in Japan and had a circulation of 7.1 million for the morning edition and 3.1 million for the evening edition.
- It was a second-place behind the Yomiuri Shimbun which is also a national newspaper of Japan.
- It first came into existence on January 25th, 1879 in Tokyo and is also headquartered in Osaka and Japan.
- The average circulation for the Asahi Shimbun is 7,96,000 and is a privately held organization under the founding Murayama and Ueno families.
These were our picks for the top ten widely read newspapers in the world. other newspapers that follow the above mentioned are :
- Dainik Jagran
- Mainichi Shimbun
- The Times of India
- Amar Ujala