Looking back in history, the tallest structure ever to be made by the man was the great pyramid of Giza. The great pyramid stood in the first position for about 3800 years until Lincoln Cathedral was constructed in 1311. As the future unraveled many buildings came and went. As time passed by almost one or the tall buildings had their share of standing in the first position. When the first skyscraper was built in Chicago, the home insurance building, in 1884, was considered as the tallest building throughout the 20th century. At that time, the building was the only tallest thing that they would ever see in their lifetime. But what the future holds nobody knows except for the future itself.
The united states held the position for the country of tallest buildings in the world for nearly the entire 20th century until the construction of Petronas towers. Since then the fight for the position of the tallest building has not rested ever since. Tapei 101 took the spot in 2004 and stayed there for 6 years and the golden days for Tapei 101 ended when the Burj Khalifa was constructed in 2010. Now there are as many as 13 buildings that stand between the height measures of Tapei and khalifa.
Since the beginning of the 21st century, many continents and countries have witnessed a huge acceleration in the construction of skyscrapers. Standing in 2020 we have no idea how many more are there to come. However, taking a look back at the past and present we bring you the list of the top 10 tallest buildings that ever existed in human history.
#1: Burj Khalifa:
- The Burj Khalifa also is known as the Burj Dubai is the tallest building in the world.
- With the construction of the tallest building that started in 2004, it took as long as 6 years to complete. Once ready it still holds the record for the tallest building in the world.
- The total height for the Burj Khalifa is 828 m or 1272 ft. The Burj Khalifa is situated in the United Arab emirates.
- The building has 163 floors and holds 15 world records including the one for the world’s highest new year display of fireworks.
- Now you would wonder that it would be difficult to task to wash the windows at such a great height. But no, the architects of the Burj Khalifa had planned everything.
- There are more than 24,800 windows in the building and there are three horizontal racks arranged holding a 1500 kg bucket machine, which is used to keep the windows in the building clean.
- The magnificent architecture was designed by Adrian Smith, of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
#2: Shanghai towers:
- The shanghai towers stand tall in shanghai china and hold the record for the second-largest building by height.
- the 128 story building is 632 meters or 2073 ft tall and is also the world’s largest twisted building.
- The construction for the building started in 2008 and was finished to buy the year 2015.
- The Shanghai tower functions as an office, hotel, co-working space and also provide an area for tourism departments.
- The main attractions of the building include the shanghai observatory without which the trip to the shanghai towers would be incomplete.
- Also, it holds the record to be the world’s highest observation space.
- The tower had an estimated construction cost of around 2.4 million USD.
#3: Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower:
- The Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower holds its ground in one of the seven complexes of mecca.
- It is a clock tower museum which was opened to tourism in 2012.
- The tower is currently third in the terms of height with 494 meters or 1621 ft. The tower has currently 120 floors with the highest one being the clock tower.
- The cost of construction for Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower 1500 crores USD which is a lot.
- The clock face is the largest in the world with a diameter of 43 and is visible from a distance of 25 kilometers.
#4: Ping An Finance Center:
- Ping An Finance Center is an international finance center and a supertall skyscraper in Shenzhen, Guangdong.
- The Ping An Finance Center is a 115 story building with 555 meters and 1821 ft.
- The construction for the building started in 2010 and took 7 years to complete and was finally ready for visitors in 2017.
- There are a total of 34 floors with 80 elevators and shares the record for the world’s highest observation deck with the shanghai towers, which are also located in china.
- The finance center had Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates as the architect and also had the construction cost to 1500 crores USD.
#5: Lotte World Tower:
- The Lotte World Tower is situated in Seoul, South Korea.
- The skyscraper is 545.5 m or 1819 ft tall. It was constructed in 2016 and has 123 floors.
- It is also the tallest building in South Korea and the fifth tallest in the world.
- The most expensive hotel in South Korea, Signeil Seoul is located inside the Lotte World Tower.
- The idea for this project was developed in 1989 and a budget of #.4 billion USD was set. The contract was completed by the Lotte Engineering and constructions.
- The top floor of the building is at a height of 438 m.
#6: One World Trade Center:
- Located in the city of skyscrapers New York, the one world trade center is the sixth tallest building in the world.
- The building is 541.3 m or 1,776 ft tall with 104 floors. The one world trade center is a rebuilt version of the world trade center.
- The one-word trade center is the tallest building in the United States and also the tallest building in the western hemisphere.
- The number of floors in the WTC is close to 94 and was designed by Daniel Libeskind, David Childs, T. J. Gottesdiener
- The one world trade center was built out on a budget of 3.9 billion USD and completed its construction in 2014.
#7: Guangzhou CTF Finance Center:
- The CTF finance center is 530 m or 1970 ft high and has 111 floors.
- Construction began in 2009 and was finally finished by 2016.
- The total number of elevators used in the Guangzhou CTF Finance Center is 95.
- It is also the third-highest building in china and seventh-tallest in the world.
- The ground floor of the scraper features hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, and offices.
#8: Tianjin CTF Finance Center:
- Tianjin CTF tower is a super tall skyscraper in China. the construction began in 2013 and was completed by 2019.
- It is the eighth tallest building in the world and the tallest building with fewer than 100 floors.
- It is a 97 story building with 5 story podium and 4 story basement.
- It is 530 meters or 1739 ft tall.
- The cost of production for the Tianjin CTF Finance Center is 2.9 billion USD.
#9: China Zun:
- China Zun is a supertall skyscraper that is situated in the business district and the capital of China.
- The total height for the finance center is 528 meters with 1732 ft in height.
- The finance center was opened to business in 2018 and was developed by CITIC real estate group.
- The total story number for this tower is 109.
- It is also sometimes known as China Zun and Zhongguo Zun.
#10: Tapei 101:
- The skyscraper which once held the record for the tallest building in the world now has shifted to the tenth position in all these years.
- The total height for tape 101 is 508 meters or 1667 ft.
- The building has a total of 101 floors which got its name of tape 101.
- It held the record for the world’s tallest building from 2010-2014 until Burj Khalifa came into action.
- It is also known as the tape finance center is located in Taiwan.
- One of the features that make tape interesting is that it is earthquake-proof because of the massive internal damper to control swaying.
These were our pick for the top 10 tallest buildings of all time. Now, we cannot predict if Burj Khalifa will be on the top for long but we can promise one thing as long as the world needs more, there are new and taller buildings on their way. Each of these buildings has something unique and that is the reason why people are still amazed to see the height that they stand on. The breathtaking view it is!